Information for our customers and partners
related to COVID-19 and insurance cover
Status: 7 October 2020
Current assessment and our recommendation
At present, travel warnings are increasingly issued again, some of which are limited only regionally, while others concern an entire country. However, there are still various travel options outside these countries, and tour operators, transport companies and hotels are adapting their offers to the actual conditions.
If you wish to book a travel abroad, we recommend that you use the services of a travel agency or tour operator and make sure you book a package travel. This will give you the best possible protection under travel law, sound advice on all eventualities and provide you with a personal contact. In addition, package travels are insured against the insolvency of the tour operator.
Cancellation cover also in case of COVID-19 disease despite pandemic status
COVID-19 is still classified as an epidemic or pandemic (cf. WHO, Austrian health authorities).
However, for already booked trips insured by us and new conclusions of our insurance policies from October 7 until further notice, we do not apply the pandemic exclusion for cancellation and travel interruption cases contained in our insurance terms and conditions.
Insofar, we grant cover in the event that you, as the insured customer, cannot start or have to interrupt the travel,
- because you suffer from COVID-19 symptoms,
- because you have been found to have an elevated temperature measured, even if a later test result is negative,
- because you were tested positive for COVID-19 without showing symptoms,
- because a close relative (*) or a person living in the same household has contracted COVID-19 and your urgent presence is required,
- because a close relative (*) in the same household has contracted COVID-19 and you must therefore be quarantined.
(*) close relatives are defined as spouse (or registered partner or partner living in the same household), children (step children, children-in-law, grandchildren, foster children), parents (step parents, parents-in-law, grandparents, foster parents), siblings and brother-in-law/sister-in-law of the insured person - in case of a registered partner or partner living in the same household, additionally his/her children, parents and siblings.
However, there is no cancellation cover
- if you cannot or do not want to start the travel because you are worried about an infection due to the increasing number of cases at your holiday destination,
- if you cannot or do not want to start the travel because you are classified as a risk patient,
- if the service providers or tour operators cannot (any longer) provide their services (e.g. as a result of a level 5 or 6 travel warning). In this case, however, no cancellation costs may be charged anyway,
- if you cannot start the travel because you are placed in quarantine due to a suspected case (e.g. in kindergarten or among your colleagues) without having symptoms of the disease or having tested positive.
As before, our premiums do not differentiate between risk patients and non-risk patients, and, as before, we do not introduce any age limits.
Insurance cover in connection with COVID-19 during the travel
Fundamentally, full health insurance cover applies during the travel for products including health insurance for travels abroad.
Here are some concrete examples to explain the insurance cover:
Cover is provided in the event that you, as a customer with travel insurance, contract COVID-19 during the travel
- for all medical treatment costs,
- for a COVID-19 test that may be required if relevant symptoms occur,
- for any additional return travel costs,
- for any additional accommodation costs (costs of extended stay).
No insurance cover exists:
- for mere quarantine accommodation. Before each holiday travel, please pay particular attention to your state of health, if necessary - especially as a risk patient - contact your family doctor,
- for a preventive COVID 19 test 'prescribed' on arrival and departure,
- for travels abroad to countries with a (partial) travel warning (level 5 or 6) issued by the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the time of departure. Therefore, the security situation in the destination of travel must be taken into account at the start of the travel: See the daily updated information on the website of the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs www.bmeia.gv.at and use the travel registration option provided there,
- for costs which, for legal reasons, must be borne by the service provider or tour operator and which cannot be passed on to the traveller even in the event of non-insurance, for example if the basis of the transaction ceases to exist.
It could happen that the destination is upgraded to (partial) travel warning (level 5 or 6) during the travel, and you will have to start your journey home as soon as possible. In that case, the insurance cover will be valid for a maximum of another 14 days. In such cases, provision of emergency services may be limited. We would also like to point out that any additional costs arising from local quarantine regulations are not covered.
Inquiries and availability
We kindly ask you to mail all inquiries, in particular those concerning coronavirus and insurance coverage, directly to email@example.com. E-mails are usually processed by the sales team of Europäische on a daily basis.